Wednesday 20 June 2012

EUROPE by ALLO DARLIN' (2012, Fortuna POP!)


Right, first off this is a truly SHOCKING name for a band. It's awful and whoever came up with it should be utterly and thoroughly ashamed of themselves. 

The album cover is also bland. The combination of the two is so mediocre that I very nearly didn't bother picking this up at all. And in fact even though I did several weeks back under the recommendation of Rough Trade (their Album of the month no less!), it's been sat on my shelf gathering dust since. Until today.

Well guess just how silly do i feel for judging this by it's cover.

This i the perfect album for a cheery, sunny day like today. 10 breezy jangle pop melodies and sweet feminine vocals. Very C86. Bit Belle & Sebastian but less contrived. Like a picnic, fresh lemondade and bunting it's delightful and gosh-darned lovely. In fact I now feel really mean for being rude about their name and artwork. Like i've just kicked a cute kitten. 

A prettily perfect album to start my little blog off with. Have a feeling it's going to be one of this years summer albums.

I'm going to listen to it again, right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment