Saturday 23 June 2012

WELCOME TO MALI by AMADOU & MARIAM (2008, Because Music)

Sorry. I should probably come clean from the outset of this review that I know almost nothing about "World Music". I know Peter Gabriel's rather keen (his Big Blue Ball album is excellent) but beyond that my experience comes down to the odd track that traditional rock folks like Springsteen and Eddie Vedder occasionally serve up with singers who's names I just can't recall.  I have tried to watch the Buena Vista Social Club documentary. Twice. I've fallen asleep both times.  I'm also guessing that owning Paul Simon's 'Gracelands' doesn't make me sound any more credible either? No, I thought not.

I'm not revelling in this ignorance. I'd like to be able to 'get it' but I think the problem for me is, and this might sound really obvious, a cultural one.

As the majority of the other songs are in languages other than English I simply just can't understand what is being said so I can't connect emotionally. I also think that us Brits (well certainly this one) also feel a little uncomfortable with excessive use of inclusive language 'brothers', 'sisters', 'unite', 'Africa'. I just feel a little embarrassed. Whilst I fully appreciate the importance of their message to Malian and African culture, I just feel like a bit of a tourist. 

I've read a lot about how the live performances of this Malian duo are exuberant and incredibly positive experiences. The music on this album absolutely reflects that. The musicianship is really incredible, the guitar playing and percussion in particular. The polished production makes it feel very commercial so if I was ever really going to 'get it', this should be the album.

There are moments when you can see that that music is really merging with wider global sounds which should make it easier for me. The first two tracks have been produced by Damon Alban who adds and electronic synthesised feel. The first, 'Sabali', could easily have appeared on the last Gorillaz album. Damon's quickly left behind and we enter more organic Afro-beat sound fused with quite commercial sounding pop, reggae and rock. But I'm afraid it's not sticking.

I've listened to the album three times today and the first time I was pretty blown away. Maybe it was because for a brief moment in this miserable British June, the sun was shining and being in the garden with Amadou and Mariam as a soundtrack, it really felt like the Summer had arrived! But now the sun has disappeared behind the rain clouds and this record's now feeling more like a novelty. The exact opposite of that Rat Pack Christmas album that comes out every December. 

Over 15 tracks it becomes just too repetitive and I must admit that even on third listen there's been several times when I hadn't realised one song ended and another has started. Sorry I feel bad. I should love this. You're supposed to. But alas as much as I find a lot here to admire, I just don't find anything to love. 

They've got wicked shades though. 

Oh. What do you mean they're blind? 

Sorry. 

Again.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment